Sheriff’s Office Monitoring Rivers for Potential Flooding
The Pueblo County Sheriff’s Office is currently monitoring and assessing the Fountain Creek and Arkansas River for potential flooding. The following roads continue to be closed:
· 4500 – 5200 block of Overton Rd.
- The county park portion, commonly referred to as the “Hwy 227 fishing access” is closed due to river/flood conditions. This area includes the parking lot, trail, foot bridge, and river access.
Moderate flooding in Avondale expected. The Bureau of Reclamation has reduced flow out of the Pueblo dam to try and mitigate flooding at the confluence of the Arkansas River and Fountain Creek.
The Pueblo County Sheriff’s Office Emergency Services Bureau activated the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) with minimum staffing in order to continuously monitor possible flooding areas. A briefing was held at 1:00 pm with the Pueblo County Board of County Commissioners, the Pueblo Police Department, County Roads and Bridges and local area fire departments where each agency shared information and put mitigation plans in place for worse case scenarios.
Areas of concern that were discussed:
- Avondale could hit major flood levels between 7:00 and 8:00 pm tonight.
- Nepesta Bridge may hit moderate flood levels by 12:00 pm tomorrow.
- The levy located behind the Northside Walmart
- 13th Street interchange at the railroad tracks
- 4th Street/Joplin
- Hudson/Catalpa, Plaza Verde Park
Sheriff Taylor said, “We are looking at all areas for mitigation and emergency protections. The safety of our citizens is our highest priority.
“Working in conjunction with the Sheriff, the Board of County Commissioners is working to document damage to recover state and federal funding to get our roadways impacted by flooding re-opened.” Commissioner Liane “Buffie” McFadyen said.
If you would like to follow the flood conditions along the creek and river the link is below:
Voluntary evacuations of homeless citizens was recommended in the area of the Fountain Creek.
The Pueblo County Sheriff’s Office Emergency Services Bureau would like to remind residents to register their cell phones with www.Colorado911.org in order to receive updates during major events such as these.