Commercial Vehicles Carrying Placarded Loads of Hazardous Materials, and Permitted Oversize Overweight Vehicles (OSOW)
The week of August 18-24, 2014, the USA Pro Challenge traverses Colorado. This impacts travel along many of Colorado highways (for specific race route information, please visit http://www.usaprocyclingchallenge.com).
Wednesday, August 20, 2014
· All eastbound US 50 commercial vehicles carrying permitted Over Size, Over Weight OSOW and placarded hazardous materials loads will be held in Gunnison in a designated staging area between the hours of 8:30 am and 6:00 pm. There will not be an alternate route.
· All westbound US 50 commercial vehicles carrying permitted OSOW and placarded hazardous materials loads will be held in Poncha Springs in a designated staging area between the hours of 8:30 am and 6:00 pm. There will not be an alternate route.
· All other commercial vehicles traveling on eastbound and westbound US 50 will be detoured onto SH 114 to US 285. SH 114 is a mountain pass (North Cochetopa Pass). This detour will add approximately 50 miles to the trip.
· See the attached map for route information.
Saturday, August 23, 2014
· All westbound I-70 OSOW vehicles will be held at the scenic overlook at mile-marker 196 (just east of the Copper Mountain exit) between the hours of 8:00 am and 6:00 pm.
· All other commercial vehicles traveling on I-70 will be allowed to proceed.
OSOW vehicle operators may contact the CDOT Permit Office prior to movement of the OSOW vehicle for possible rerouting instructions. Please note that any change in route may result in the required use of a pilot escort vehicle(s). Carriers may also contact the CSP Hazardous Materials Section (303) 273-1875 for information on other established hazmat routes across the State.
CDOT and the Colorado State Patrol would like to encourage carriers to please plan accordingly to avoid delays.