IndyCar is currently the only U.S. auto racing series with Latin-Americans in the racing paddock. In honor of Colombia’s Independence Day, here are the top eight reasons IndyCar is the favorite sport for Colombianos worldwide.
1. Orgullos Latinos: On any given weekend, cheer for any of the four active Colombian drivers in the Verizon IndyCar series, all who are from Bogota: Juan Pablo Montoya, Sebastian Saavedra, Carlos Huertas, and Carlos Munoz.
2. Need for Speed: The IndyCar Series races faster and closer than any other form of motorsports, reaching speeds up to 235 mph at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
3. Writing History: Earlier this year, it was a Colombian sweep at the IndyCar Grand Prix of Houston when Huertas, Montoya and Munoz unfurled yellow, blue and red flags in a celebration on June 28. It was the first all-Colombian podium in IndyCar history.
4. World Cup Revenge: Even though Brazil triumphed over Colombia in the World Cup, your athletes beat them to the track, thanks to Juan Pablo Montoya. On July 6 at Pocono Raceway, Montoya zipped toward the checkered flag to the sight of hundreds of Colombian fans waving the flag and cheering him on following his IndyCar race win.
5. Family Driven: Indy brings the motorsports family together through the Indy Family Foundation, a non-profit organization that aids those in the racing community who find themselves in financial need due to hardship caused by illness, injury or death.