Up-and-coming U.S. triathletes Stephanie Jenks and Seth Rider earned spots for the Nanjing 2014 Youth Olympic Games, topping the podium on Friday, May 2, at the 2014 Monterrey PATCO Triathlon American YOG Qualifier.
Jenks (Aurora, Iowa) ran her way to victory, covering the 750-meter swim, 20-kilometer bike, 5-kilometer run course in 59 minutes, 55 seconds. A top high school runner in Iowa, Jenks made her move on the run, posting the fastest run time of the day (17:11) by more than 90 seconds. Taylor Knibb (Washington, D.C.) took second in 1:00:00 following a solo effort on a very technical bike course, and Canada’s Emily Wagner was third in 1:01:52.
Rider (Germantown, Tenn.) had the fastest bike and run splits of the day, taking the tape in 54:43. Canadian Charles Paquet was second in 55:14, and Austin Hindman (Wildwood, Mo.) recovered from a bike crash, running into third with a time of 55:32.
The U.S. team of Victoria Clinton (Elburn, Ill.), Darr Smith (Atlanta, Ga.), Jenks and Rider were also champions in the mixed relay event, held Sunday, May 4. The team bested the field by 40 seconds, posting a time of 1:12:36. Team Canada was second in 1:13:55 and Mexico was third in team scoring in 1:15:09.
By virtue of their individual finishes, Jenks and Rider qualified to represent the U.S. at theYouth Olympic Games in Nanjing, China, set for Aug. 16-28, 2014. Athletes in the triathlon events in Nanjing will be ages 16-17 and represent National Federations in good standing with the International Triathlon Union.
All nominations to the 2014 U.S. Youth Olympic Team are subject to approval by the United States Olympic Committee.
2014 Monterrey PATCO Triathlon American YOG Qualifier
750m swim, 20k bike, 5k run
Women – Click here for complete results
1. Stephanie Jenks (Aurora, Iowa), 59:55
2. Taylor Knibb (Washington, D.C.), 1:00:00
3. Emily Wagner (CAN), 1:01:52
4. Kyleigh Spearing (Frankfort, Ill.), 1:02:10
6. Katie Patrick (Sioux Falls, S.D.), 1:02:46
14. Aleena Villani (Pleasant Prairie, Wis.), 1:04:23
17. Emily Hughes (Brentwood, Tenn.), 1:05:11
21. Victoria Clinton (Elburn, Ill.), 1:06:06
22. Jocelyn Vides (Reno, Nev.), 1:06:37
1. Seth Rider (Germantown, Tenn.), 54:43
2. Charles Paquet (CAN), 55:14
3. Austin Hindman (Wildwood, Mo.), 55:32
4. Darr Smith (Atlanta, Ga.), 55:42
10. Grant Jarvis (Texarkana, Texas), 57:07
12. Duncan Reid (Palos Verdes Estates, Calif.), 57:30
21. Alex Hernandez (Gulf Breeze, Fla.), 58:20
26. Graham Pimentel (Naples, Fla.), 59:35
43. Patrick Bieszke (Orland Park, Ill.), 1:04:45