3:13 pm - Thursday December 18, 5670

Rebate available for low-income seniors and disabled

Money back for rent, property tax and heating expenses


 Many Coloradans may be eligible for the Colorado Property Tax/Rent/Heat Credit, commonly known as the “PTC Rebate,” for low-income seniors and disabled individuals, which is administered by the Department of Revenue’s Taxation Division


This program is offered to full-year residents who are age 65 or older (or a surviving spouse at least 58 years of age), or who were disabled regardless of age during the entire filing/calendar year. Qualified applicants can receive up to $600 for rent or property tax paid and up to $192 of heating expenses they have paid during 2013, for a maximum rebate of $792.


The actual rebate total is based on the applicant’s income and expenses. Any Colorado resident who meets the requirements for the rebate should submit the 2013 rebate application, Form 104 PTC, beginning January 1. The application is available on the Department of Revenue’s Taxation Web site at www.TaxColorado.com. Click the “PTC” button at the top of the page.


What are the eligibility requirements?


·         Resided in Colorado the entire year.

·         Are lawfully present in the United States. Complete the DR 4679 PTC lawful presence affidavit.

·         Single person with total income of less than $12,639

·         Married couple with total combined income of less than $16,731

·         You (either husband or wife) are 65 or older by Dec. 31, or a surviving spouse at least 58 years old by

Dec 31,


·         You were disabled for the entire year, regardless of age.

·         You are not claimed as a dependent on any other person’s federal income tax return


How to check the status of a rebate payment?


The status of a PTC rebate will not be available until April 15, 2014 (at the earliest) or 12 weeks after the application is filed. Depending on when the application is approved, installment payments are issued in April, July, October and January.


For those with Internet access, go to www.Colorado.gov/RevenueOnline. Under “For Individuals,” click on “Where’s My Refund” to check the status of the most currentinstallment payment. This system will not show the applicant’s full rebate amount.




Filed in: community / comunidad