Summer Performing Arts Intensive:
A Partnership between The Colorado Springs Conservatory, Central City Opera and Colorado College
Public Performance Dates
At Colorado College:
Scenes & Opera Performance
Tuesday, July 23 at 7pm
Cornerstone Building – Studio A at Colorado College
Tickets: Adults $10; Students/Children $5
Available at csconservatory.org or at the door
In Central City:
Scenes & Opera Performance – Friday, July 26 at 4pm
Scenes & Opera Performance – Saturday, July 27 at 7pm
Williams Stables Theatre
Tickets: $5 at 303-292-6700 or online at http://www.centralcityopera.org
This year marks the 10th Anniversary of the Summer Performing Arts Intensive presented by The Colorado Springs Conservatory in partnership with Central City Opera and Colorado College. This arts education program is designed to immerse talented young artists ages 14-19 from across the country, in opera and theater studies culminating in the creation of a one-act original opera.
“The program instills an understanding of the rigors of the performing arts while passing along, from one generation to the next, the traditions of the most extreme and beautiful art form – opera,” says Conservatory Founding Executive Director Linda Weise.
Performance at Colorado College
During the first leg of the Intensive July 11-23, students are in residence at Colorado College. The public is invited to the premiere of their original opera about General Palmer, as well as, a scenes performance entitled, “Turning Points” which features opera, musical theater and dramatic scenes that explore turning points in dramatic and musical literature.
The performance is on Tuesday, July 23 at 7pm in the Cornerstone Building – Studio A on the CC campus. Tickets are $10 for adults and $5 children/students, available at csconservatory.org or at the door.
Make it a Day in Central City
The students then head to Central City from July 24-27, where they will work further on their opera with mentors and performers of the internationally renowned Central City Opera Company.
Public performances of the original opera and scenes performance are slated for Friday, July 26 at 4pm and Saturday, July 27 at 7pm in the Williams Stables Theatre. This is followed by a performance of The Barber of Seville performed by the Central City Opera.
Tickets for student performances, and The Barber of Seville are available through the Central City Box Office 303-292-6700 or http://www.centralcityopera.org.
“Thanks to the partnership of Central City Opera and the Conservatory, students are offered a unique opportunity to hone their performance skills and participate in the inner workings of a professional company. The students become Central City Opera company members, taking classes and receiving coaching from conductors and directors, and performing their own work for the public in a Central City Opera venue. We proudly view these students as the future of the performing arts in America,” said Deborah Morrow, Central City Opera Director of Education and Community Programs.
During the 2-week Summer Performing Arts Intensive, studies include:
- Private vocal coachings on song literature, musical theater and opera scenes
- Rehearsals for original opera scenes with visiting teaching artists Roger Ames and Jeff Gilden
- Repertoire studies and performances of standard, age appropriate opera and musical theater scenes
- Language diction classes to include Italian, French, German and English
- Theater studies curriculum as pertains to dramatic literature, opera and musical theater medium
- Movement and dance classes that pertain to period studies
- Performing arts history classes
- World history comprehension
- Music theory and ear training
- Music appreciation through the visual arts, a curriculum designed to cross-reference various mediums
- Set design
- Preview study classes prior to the culminating weekend of study and performances in Central City
- Students will study the operas being presented at Central City this upcoming season: The Barber of Seville and Our Town
- Local outreach performances
In Central City, students engage in in-depth activities provided by the Central City Opera Company including:
- Master classes with resident national and international conductors, performers, vocal and movement coaches and other Central City Opera company members
- Performing artist forum/roundtable discussion
- Historical tour of museum, opera house and surrounding areas
- Attend all Central City Opera Company performances
- Attend pre-show discussion of each opera with a member of the artistic staff
- Observe apprentice rehearsals of main stage productions
- Final culminating opera scenes performance at the Williams Stables Theatre
The Conservatory-Central City Opera- Colorado College Summer Performing Arts Intensive has proven to be a life-changing experience for many talented and motivated students, engaging them in rich experiences that move them dramatically ahead in their pursuit of training in the arts world.