3:16 pm - Wednesday January 21, 4685

Taxpayers Must Pay Balance Due on 2012 Income Tax

More than 70,000 taxpayers who filed their 2012 income tax return, had a balance due on their return, and did not submit a payment will receive a balance due notice in the mail during the next few weeks. The Department of Revenue issues these bills annually, after the April income tax deadline. In all cases where there is a delay in payment, penalty and interest is charged on the amount due. When the balance due notice is received, taxpayers have the option of paying the full balance due or setting up an installment plan.

How to pay a balance due

If the taxpayer wishes to pay the full balance due, payment must be made by the due date printed on the balance due notice to avoid additional late fees.

·         Partial or full payment by e-check or credit card accepted through Revenue Online, www.Colorado.gov/RevenueOnline

o          $1.00 fee when paying by e-check

o          77 cents, plus 2.25% fee of the total tax due when paying by credit card

o          No fee when paying by Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT, pre-registration required)

·         Payment by mail. Attach payment to the notice, mail to:

Colorado Department of Revenue

1375 Sherman St.

Denver, CO 80261-0004

How to set up a payment plan (Agreement to Pay or ATP)

·           On the Web at www.Colorado.gov/RevenueOnline or

·           Contact our Tax Auditing and Compliance Division by telephone, (303) 205-8291.

Once the department receives the request, monthly payment coupons are mailed to the taxpayer’s address on file within seven to 10 business days. ATPs are for first-time balance dues. If there is a previous balance due, call the number above.

Disagree with the notice?

Taxpayers who disagree with the balance due notice have the right to protest the amount due. The protest must be filed within 30 days from the date of the notice.

How to file a protest

·      On the Web at www.Colorado.gov/RevenueOnline click on the File a Protest link, located under For Individuals. It is not necessary to Login to Revenue Online to file a protest. Supporting documentation may also be attached to the protest in Revenue Online.

·      By mail:

Colorado Department of Revenue

Protest Section

1375 Sherman St.

Denver, CO 80261


Access your tax account anytime and track payments through Revenue Online

Under “Sign Up for Revenue Online” (www.Colorado.gov/RevenueOnline), click on Sign Up (Individual or Business). Complete each step then click on the Submit button. Taxpayers are urged to note the Login ID and Password they created so they can keep accessing Revenue Online. Login to Revenue Online 24/7.



Filed in: community / comunidad