As the first week of the New Year rounds out, the Regional Transportation District (RTD) is reflecting on the many milestones accomplished over the past year on the FasTracks transit expansion program. Below is the FasTracks Top Ten List for 2012.
1. West Rail Line Testing – Successfully completed first systems tests along the West Rail Line.
Integrated testing continues until opening day, April 26, 2013.
2. I-225 Rail Line Contract – Awarded a contract to Kiewit Infrastructure Group to complete the full
I-225 Rail Line by the end of 2015.
3. I-225 Segment One Construction – Began construction on the first segment of the I-225 Line from
Nine Mile to Iliff through a highway/light rail construction partnership with the Colorado Department
of Transportation (CDOT).
4. Northwest Rail Segment One Construction – Began construction on the first segment of the
Northwest Line up to Westminster.
5. Eagle P3 Bridges – Started construction on 20 bridges and structures on the East Line, Gold Line
and first segment of Northwest Rail, also called the Eagle P3 project.
6. North Metro Design – Began final design on the North Metro Line up to 72nd.
7. Denver Union Station Renovation Contract – Awarded a contract to Union Station Alliance to
develop the inside of the building into a boutique hotel with retail and restaurant elements.
8. US 36 BRT Construction – Started construction on the US 36 Bus Rapid Transit project with
9. FasTracks Internal Savings Account – RTD Board approved FasTracks Internal Savings Account
to help fund FasTracks projects that are not fully funded. The savings account is comprised of
eight items that are expected to generate nearly $300 million by 2017. The funds would be used
to build the North Metro Line to at least 72nd and complete RTD’s commitment on the US 36 BRT
10. Northwest Area Mobility Study – Established process for the Northwest Area Mobility Study with
northwest stakeholders. Study will begin in February.
This is just a partial listing of the many FasTracks accomplishments and milestones over the past year with a number of others anticipated for 2013, including opening of the West Rail Line eight months ahead of the original schedule, a construction groundbreaking for the full I-225 Rail Line, and completion of the Northwest Area Mobility Study.
FasTracks is RTD’s voter-approved transit expansion program to build 122 miles of commuter rail and light rail, 18 miles of bus rapid transit service, add 21,000 new parking spaces, redevelop Denver Union Station and redirect bus service to better connect the eight-county District. For more information, visit www.rtd-denver.com.