Colorado Springs Fire Department firefighters were dispatched to 1216 Potter Drive at the Vista Peak Apartments on October 7, 2012 at 11:50am for a patient calling 911 because the carbon monoxide alarm was going off in the apartment and they were feeling not feeling well. When crews arrived they found that several units in the complex had carbon monoxide alarms sounding as well. Upon searching and evacuating the residents they entered a unit and found two patients unresponsive. Unfortunately, one patient was not able to be saved and the other patient remains in critical condition at a local hospital.
There were nine families displaced and the property manager provided accommodations for them overnight as a precaution. The investigation is still ongoing as to the source of the carbon monoxide. An autopsy will be conducted by the El Paso County Coroner to determine the official manner of death but carbon monoxide poisoning is suspected to have played a role. The names of the victims will be released as soon as all family notifications are complete.
Colorado State Law on Carbon Monoxide Alarms http://www.leg.state.co.us/Clics/CLICS2009A/csl.nsf/fsbillcont3/8CA7AA87F3BED22D8725753700718548?Open&file=1091_enr.pdf
CDC’s Fact Sheet on Carbon Monoxide Symptoms http://www.cdc.gov/co/pdfs/faqs.pdf
Carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless, colorless gas created when fuels (such as gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil, and methane) burn incompletely. In the home, heating and cooking equipment that burn fuel can be sources of carbon monoxide.
CO alarms should be installed in a central location outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home and in other locations where required by applicable laws, codes or standards. For the best protection, interconnect all CO alarms throughout the home. When one sounds, they all sound. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for placement and mounting height. Choose a CO alarm that has the label of a recognized testing laboratory. Call your local fire department’s non-emergency number to find out what number to call if the CO alarm sounds. Test CO alarms at least once a month; replace them according to the manufacturer’s instructions. If the audible trouble signal sounds, check for low batteries. If the battery is low, replace it. If it still sounds, call the fire department. If the CO alarm sounds, immediately move to a fresh air location outdoors or by an open window or door. Make sure everyone inside the home is accounted for. Call for help from a fresh air location and stay there until emergency personnel. If you need to warm a vehicle, remove it from the garage immediately after starting it. Do not run a vehicle or other fueled engine or motor indoors, even if garage doors are open. Make sure the exhaust pipe of a running vehicle is not covered with snow. During and after a snowstorm, make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove, and fireplace are clear of snow build-up. A generator should be used in a well-ventilated location outdoors away from windows, doors and vent openings. Gas or charcoal grills can produce CO — only use outside
Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide:
CO enters the body through breathing. CO poisoning can be confused with flu symptoms, food poisoning and other illnesses. Some symptoms include shortness of breath, nausea, dizziness, light headedness or headaches. High levels of CO can be fatal, causing death within minutes.
The concentration of CO, measured in parts per million (ppm) is a determining factor in the symptoms for an average, healthy adult.
50 ppm: No adverse effects with 8 hours of exposure. 200 ppm: Mild headache after 2-3 hours of exposure. 400 ppm: Headache and nausea after 1-2 hours of exposure. 800 ppm: Headache, nausea, and dizziness after 45 minutes; collapse and unconsciousness after 1 hour of exposure. 1,000 ppm: Loss of consciousness after 1 hour of exposure. 1,600 ppm: Headache, nausea, and dizziness after 20 minutes of exposure. 3,200 ppm: Headache, nausea, and dizziness after 5-10 minutes; collapse and unconsciousness after 30 minutes of exposure. 6,400 ppm: Headache and dizziness after 1-2 minutes; unconsciousness and danger of death after 10-15 minutes of exposure. 12,800 ppm: Immediate physiological effects, unconsciousness and danger of death after 1-3 minutes of exposure.