The Colorado Springs Fire Department is pleased to announce that we have accepted the 2011 Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response (SAFER) grant from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). The grant was accepted on 8/23/12.
· The SAFER grant will provide $2,000,430 to fund fifteen new firefighters.
· The grant will fund the firefighters for a two-year period.
· The grant was specifically awarded to assist with defraying the costs associated with staffing Station 21.
· CSFD plans to start its next academy in February 2013.
· The new firefighters will be on the line by early summer 2013 when Station 21 is due to open.