Los Lobos performs in concert during the Adams State University Great Stories Celebration. The two-day event begins Thursday, August 23 and continues Friday, August 24 with music, food, poetry, and art, showcasing changes happening on campus. Events are free and open to the public with the exception of the Scholarship Dinner.
Student ambassadors will lead campus tours during a Welcome Back Alumni Reception from 1 p.m. until 3 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 23, in the Richardson Hall lobby. That same afternoon the Luther Bean Museum will host an Open House with items on display reflecting the history of Adams State, from 2 p.m. until 5 p.m.
Get your stars on at the Zacheis Planetarium Grand Re-Opening, shows begin at 2 p.m., 3 p.m. and 4 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 23.
Thursday’s events continue with the annual Welcome Back Luau, from 5 p.m. until 7 p.m. on the North Campus Green at Rex Stadium. That evening, a concert featuring music faculty and students begins at 7:30 p.m. in Leon Memorial Hall. The concert will include special music arranged for the University Celebration by composer Matt Schildt, associate professor of music.
The Friday, August 24 schedule includes:
• 1 p.m. until 2 p.m. – the Adams State Faculty Art Exhibit, featuring Dana Provence’s “University Celebration” sculpture in the Art Building Cloyde Snook Gallery.
• 1:30 p.m. until 3 p.m. – Student Success Center Open House in Nielsen Library.
• 2 p.m. until 3 p.m. – Poetry Reading in Nielsen Library, including new poems inspired by the university transition by Carol Guerrero Murphy, professor of English; and Aaron Abeyta, professor of English.
• 3:30 p.m. – Debut of Danny Ledonne’s new film in McDaniel Hall room 101.
• 4:30 p.m. Great Stories Celebration – the North Campus Green at Rex Stadium.
• 5 p.m. Gala Scholarship Dinner at the Bistro Rialto with silent auction.
• 8:30 p.m. Los Lobos Concert at Rex Stadium.
• 10:00 p.m. Fireworks Spectacular at Rex Stadium.